~The Plot of My Book~

~ My First Book~

May-June Release!

"The Anne Marie"

Newfoundlands are considered to be one of the most loyal breed of dogs. It is said that once one of the giant water-dogs bonds with a human, they can never bond with another. Atticus Stockton is a Newfoundland who loses his precious master in the sinking of a fishing boat off of Maine's rocky coast. Now alone, Atticus finds that he is unwanted, and as the big dog struggles to find a new home he is also plagued with the dreams from his once perfect world. Can he find a home, and if he does can he ever love another human again?

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Roxanne: Part One


Roxanne: Part One
So I was thinking I should counter my last blog with a happier story. So here we go, this is the story of how I obtained my sweet Roxanne, and the battle of wills that ensued...
Mobile, Alabama - June 2001
So I bought Roxanne, my Basset Hound, at the flea market, and if you've never seen a basset hound puppy live in person be warned, there my not be a more cute animal in existence. It was over nine years ago, I was cruising the flea market with my old roommate James in search for interesting belt-buckles. For some reason I had a strange fascination with belt buckles at the time. So James and I were walking the booths when this overweight southern gent in denim overalls smiled at me and asked me if I was interested in some Basset Hound pups. I looked at him and his grin, and the wad of tobacco pushed into the deep recesses of his lower lip  -No thanks.
But then I looked down.
There were these long velvet eared creatures, and as sure as the sun will shine I felt myself begin to melt.
I looked to my left, at James, and he too bore the twinkle in his eye, the same to which I instantly felt in my heart.
Those are the cutest things I have ever seen- James said.
So we were at a cross roads. 
How much are they- I asked. 
Two-hundred- the man said following this with a spit into a paper cup.
I looked down.
There amongst the puppies was one, a small one, she was sleeping. Her white nose was freckled with brown spots. 
One-hundred and fifty- I returned. 
Growing up in Las Vegas, and having been to my fair share of flea markets, I slipped into barter mode with the ease of a Sunday afternoon. 
These are papered dogs friend-the big man said and again emptied his spittle into his paper cup. 
One-fifty or I'm walking. 
One-eighty.
Alright James let's go.
And with that we started to walk away. 
Alright, one-sixty is as low as I can go. 
I turned and smiled- done!
So I picked up my new little Basset.  She was still sleeping so when I took her small body into my hands and lifted her in the air I awoke her.  The little dogs blue puppy eyes opened, and met mine. 
Roxanne- I said - naming her instantly.


To be continued........

3 comments:

  1. Sweet little Roxanne. That, my friend, was a good purchase

    ReplyDelete
  2. Iz, did I really say "Those are the cutest things I have ever seen?" haha. At any rate she, Roxanne, was an adorable pup. May the story continue so all can hear of the ensuing struggles between Roxanne and us in her early years. Keep it up Israel.

    ReplyDelete