~The Plot of My Book~

~ My First Book~

May-June Release!

"The Anne Marie"

Newfoundlands are considered to be one of the most loyal breed of dogs. It is said that once one of the giant water-dogs bonds with a human, they can never bond with another. Atticus Stockton is a Newfoundland who loses his precious master in the sinking of a fishing boat off of Maine's rocky coast. Now alone, Atticus finds that he is unwanted, and as the big dog struggles to find a new home he is also plagued with the dreams from his once perfect world. Can he find a home, and if he does can he ever love another human again?

Sunday, January 30, 2011

So Why Dogs?

So why Dogs?
So some might wonder why is my first book about a dog, I mean why dogs?  Well the short answer is, I love dogs.  They have always been a part of my life, my parents have always had dogs, and I now carry on that same tradition in my family with our two dogs.
Dog’s are about as noble a creature as anything on this earth.  They love you unconditionally, which most of us cannot, or will not do.  The only problem with dogs in my mind is their short lifespan.  This fact taught me one tough lesson as a young boy.  When I was twelve, because no one in my family had the stomach for it, I took our aging Siberian Husky, Shadow to the vet to be put down.  My sisters boyfriend at the time helped me load the old girl up in his old pickup, and with a check written from my mother in my back pocket to pay for the vets dark services, I took our family dog a few miles down the road to the vets office. I paid the woman at the front desk, helped my blind ailing pal to the back room, sat with her as she was hooked up to an IV, and stroked her beautiful white and grey fur as her life faded away.  
 I just remembered something as I was writing this post.  All those years ago, when I opened the door to take Shadow to the back at the vet’s office, she still waited for me to go through the door.  I guess I took that for granted back then, as that was how she was taught.  However looking back at that now, I know she had to have known that I was taking her back to her death and even then she was still subservient. No - not subservient – respectful.  May we all have that kind of grace and humility in our final moments.
So why dogs, they are more humble than us, more selfless than us, in short because they are better than us, thats why.

5 comments:

  1. Congrats Izzy, When your rich and infamous, Don't forget us little guys. Wish you nothing but the best.

    LUNCH

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clever, introspective, educational piece... Keep em coming, you have a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so wise. Great blog man, really well written.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the encouragement gents! I am going to try to bring something new to this page at least every other day. If you have a cool story please post it, I like to read too. This blog will be my therapy as I publish my book. Or at least something to keep me busy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why Dogs brings tears to my heart! Thank you for expressing your memory of an unforgettable and difficult moment in your life! Yesterday, I read words from an award winning fiction writer .. " ...my old friend, a good sentence!"

    A tweet of a twitter could not leave in my memory bank your lovely story with respect for your dog and for your own reactions and perceptions.

    ReplyDelete