~The Plot of My Book~

~ My First Book~

May-June Release!

"The Anne Marie"

Newfoundlands are considered to be one of the most loyal breed of dogs. It is said that once one of the giant water-dogs bonds with a human, they can never bond with another. Atticus Stockton is a Newfoundland who loses his precious master in the sinking of a fishing boat off of Maine's rocky coast. Now alone, Atticus finds that he is unwanted, and as the big dog struggles to find a new home he is also plagued with the dreams from his once perfect world. Can he find a home, and if he does can he ever love another human again?

Thursday, January 27, 2011

So I am Slowly letting people know what I am doing...

So I am not quite to the point where I can post my blog on Facebook to every one of my friends.  I wear an external coat of extraversion but I am surprisingly shy about my private life, especially my writing life.  This thing that grabs me and causes me to constantly dream up stories and ideas is something that I have kept very close to the chest for a very long time...


So where I am at today:
Currently I am figuring out what publisher I will be using to publish my book.  For those who don't know I am an Independent Writer.  I thought very deeply about the traditional route however after much soul searching, researching, and a tug from the big guy upstairs I am sure that I am on the right path.  Why?  Because the book industry is quickly becoming like the movie industry, what is marketable is considered art.  I am not going to get on here and say that I am better than any writer out there and that it's the indie way or the highway, but I am going say that there is talent out there that is not being properly recognized for the shear fact that publishing houses do not think that they can make money off of them.  I think passion and talent go hand and hand, and I think someone who believes in their own work enough to invest in it deserves a shot at an audience as well.  Now that I have gotten that out of the way, I am in the market for a publisher.  I have looked around at the different self-publishers and the way they do business.  Having done this it is my opinion that one must be very careful about what seems like a good deal.  The publishing cost may be low, but your royalties may be low as well.   They also may choose the price of your book.  Tomorrow I will make a choice in what company I will go with, and I will explain my reasons why.  My advice till then - be patient and research who you are going to use.  Also above all else don't make any hasty decisions. 

2 comments:

  1. The best thing you can do for your writing is keep it a secret...at least until you finish writing. Don't let people into your world as it's developing. The only voice you need in your work is your own. You won't believe how fast the muse will leave you if you start telling her secrets.

    I find the more I talk to others about a work in progress, the faster the excitement of a certain character development or plot twist gets sapped out of me. Nowadaze I don't even let people know I'm writing. I just show up with the finished product and the outcome is generally more pleasant. For them. For me. For everybody.

    Sorry if that turned into a tangent. I read this quote and it's been on my mind ever since.

    I think it's bad to talk about one's present work, for it spoils something at the root of the creative act. It discharges the tension. ~Norman Mailer

    ReplyDelete
  2. American Recluse,

    Good comments, and I totally agree. This project is in its final edit, by my editor. We are t-minus 4-5 months till we have lift off. I have another friend who is a big fan of Norman Mailer and he actually used this same quote on me about 6 years ago. Whats funny is - I never finished THAT project. Again, good feed back! Also if you ever feel like sharing a story of your own, message me and I will have you on here as a guest Blog.

    IParker

    ReplyDelete