~The Plot of My Book~

~ My First Book~

May-June Release!

"The Anne Marie"

Newfoundlands are considered to be one of the most loyal breed of dogs. It is said that once one of the giant water-dogs bonds with a human, they can never bond with another. Atticus Stockton is a Newfoundland who loses his precious master in the sinking of a fishing boat off of Maine's rocky coast. Now alone, Atticus finds that he is unwanted, and as the big dog struggles to find a new home he is also plagued with the dreams from his once perfect world. Can he find a home, and if he does can he ever love another human again?

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Roxanne and Jager: Part 2


Roxanne and Jager: Part 2

Mobile, Alabama 2001

So James and I headed home from the flea market with our new basset hound puppy, which we had named Roxanne. 
How do you think Jager's gonna take to her? - James asked me. 
Umm...he'll be fine with it- 
We pulled into the driveway of my house and as we got out of the car, Dave, our neighbor, approached and saw what I was carrying. 
You've got to be kidding- he laughed in the same way you do when a buddy trips and falls on his face. 
We'll at least you didn't get a goat- he remarked. 
This reference was not just a joke.  The fact of the matter was it had almost been a reality. I had been talking a lot about getting a goat or even a small pig for that matter, this talk was usually brought on by a few beers and an excess of poor judgment.  Later on while at a local bar across Mobile Bay, I almost purchased a goat. His name was “Billy the Goat”, but that's another story altogether. 
 Dave, James, and I went into our house to introduce Roxanne to Jager. 
When we opened the door Jager was sitting there on the couch watching TV; well he may have not been watching it for real, but that's how it looked. We didn't like the thought of him getting lonely so we had started leaving James’ TV on when we left. 
Hey buddy- I called to Jager- what’cha doing?
Jager yawned and slowly got off the couch.  His life had made a leisurely turn in the few months since we had acquired him. 
Jager came over and sniffed at Roxanne as I placed her onto the ground. The big black dog with the green eyes walked over to the basset hound and looked at her. 
Then he did something quite curious. He lifted a paw and swiped it across the face of Roxanne, knocking her to the ground. 
No!- we all screamed. 
Go lay down!- I said with a parental tone. 
Jager went and lay down, and I picked up Roxanne and took her to my bedroom. 
I sure hope he's not going to act like this all the time- I thought. 
When I got to my room little Roxanne was already back asleep, she looked too peaceful and sweet. I kissed her little head and gently placed her in the middle of my bed where she stayed asleep. 
She probably wants some water- I thought and then returned to the living room, tip-toeing while I walked. When I got to the living room, James and Dave were both sitting with Jager on the couch. 
She's asleep- I said- I'm gonna give her some water. Then I looked at Jager- hey bud what’s your problem?
The black dog gave no answer.
Ahh, he's just a little jealous is all- Dave said. 
In the kitchen I filled a small water bowl, and then returned to my bedroom.  Including the time I talked with the guys in the living room and filled up the bowl, I was gone less than a minute. 
When I opened the door to my bedroom the smell hit me and then I saw… 
It was shaped into a pleasant looking swirl that at the time reminded me of dairy queen soft serve. It was almost the same size as the little dog in both length and girth. 
It was a formidable sight. 
Roxanne, of course, was sleeping peacefully next to it as if nothing happened. 
This, of course, was a sign of more to come. 

2 comments:

  1. Brother Iz,
    I remember a drinking binge at my house with the dogs running free. Rachel comes home and chases you all out, going to bed she says. Me feeling no pain decide to take a shower and come to bed clean and naked trying to surprise her. As I run to the bed on my side I step right into one of her presents next to the bed. Roxanne special right between the toes, I think Rachel wet the bed. Needless to say I got another shower to cool off, Thanks Roxanne!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave,

    Thanks for the post. For some reason this period in my life seemed like the best place to get this blog moving. I think it was because I was such a mess. Thanks for putting up with me through those rough years in my life.

    Israel

    ReplyDelete